12 tips to starting a small business from nothing
Posted on January 6, 2015 by Nikki Lane
In 2005 with two small boys and recently separated from my husband I opened the doors to my small business with absolutely no experience in small business. Here are my top 12 tips to keep you going:
Firstly I did the standard things you need to do; I bought a computer, a printer and a desk. Chose a business name, designed a logo, had a business card printed, a website designed and off I went. I gained my first client after about 3 months and I was off and running. 10 years later I am still in business, successful, have a large network of colleagues and I love every moment of it.
The key tips to starting a small business from nothing in my opinion are as follows:
- Never stop believing in yourself
- Stay positive that you can do it and that you can be a successful business person
- Talk to everyone about your business and what you do (without being pushy)
- Get out and network as much as possible
- Fake it til you make it. Pretend you already have a successful business and project that mindset to everyone you talk to.
- Create a special place in your home that is your workspace – the dining room table doesn’t cut it.
- Go to work in your home office everyday as if you are working in a corporate role. This means no pyjamas and a professional mindset each and every time you sit down at your desk.
- Whilst you are waiting for clients, use your time to develop systems and procedures to make your small business more efficient and professional
- Use social media to constantly interact with people and provide them with content that shows you are an expert in your field
- Don’t get discouraged by the people that say ‘no’. Move on and ask yourself ‘who’s next?’
- Remember that just because you run your own business you don’t have to be on call 24 / 7. Have set working hours and try to keep your work and personal life as separate as possible.
- Treat every mistake as a learning experience