What do you do when you just don’t feel like working?
Posted on September 29, 2016 by Samantha Gomez
Everyone has days when they don’t feel like working – perhaps something has gone wrong or got you down? Perhaps you’ve just finished a big project and are having trouble getting started on the next one or maybe it is a beautiful day and you would just rather be outside?
Whatever the reason, it can be really challenging to motivate yourself to work on the days when it all feels too hard.
So what can you do to get your mojo back?
- Go through and read your testimonials from happy clients. Focusing on your successes will give you a confidence boost and help you remember some of the things you love about your business.
- Go for a brisk walk or swim. Getting outside in the fresh air, getting your blood pumping and absorbing some negative ions will all increase your energy levels and sense of wellbeing.
- Set a time limit and reward yourself. Set a time limit for yourself (say 2 hours) and work solidly for that time period, then you can go and sit in the sun with a cup of tea and relax.
- If there is one aspect of your business that is putting you off, work on something else for a while. You may find that once you are in ‘work mode’ you can go back to the original project.
- Stop criticising yourself and trying to be perfect – if you aren’t in the zone just do a draft today and edit it tomorrow.
These ideas are worth a try but you should also listen to your body and your intuition.
If you don’t feel like working today try not to push yourself too hard. Just do the bare minimum and then give yourself some time off. Whatever you do, don’t beat yourself up for having some down time – it’s one of the benefits of working for yourself and it will help re-motivate you for tomorrow!
How do you motivate yourself when you just don’t feel like working?